Updates from Atlanta

Well, we are half-way settled in Atlanta now I can't make any excuses not to update now.

First a brief overview of my recent spiritual activites...

I am reading Living Buddha, Living Christ by Thich Naht Hahn. It presents a lot of ways the practices of Buddhism and Christianity actually harmonize. I don't know about all his conclusions yet, but it made me appreciate the depth of the Christian tradtion more. I have been sorta focusing on the negative shallow aspects of Christianity lately, and forgetting the good and beautiful parts.

I am still listening to Ajahn Brahm and enjoying his silly jokes.

We've visted a couple of SDA churches in Atlanta. The one we thought the
friendliest comes with a 45 minute drive but we have a few more to check out.

We enjoyed visiting the Collegedale SDA church this past Saturday morning. (We can drive for 2 hours to go to the Renewal Sabbath School every week, right?) We enjoyed Sabbath school as always and found the sermon on community more insightful than past sermons. I wish we could ask him questions afterwards though because he implied a few things which seemed to have unhealthy ultimate conclusions.

This morning I met up with a new friend at the Shambhala Mediation Center I don't know about the whole Shambabla philosophy yet, but it provides a good place for people of all backrounds to practice walking and sitting mediation. They have a small beginners instruction available which was helpful, though I found I can't yet sit in the standard position because my foot falls asleep. My friend recommended another way of sitting which might help.

I liked walking meditation a lot better because not so many aches and pains come up.

That's all for now. Come visit us in Atlanta okay!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good to read an update, I hope you find what you are looking for
Anonymous said…
Well written article.

Popular posts from this blog

Eating SDA Style

Out of the Frying Pan and into the Fire

Dogs Become Street Stoics