Out of the Frying Pan and into the Fire

On June 15 I got a letter in the mail stating that my name had officially been removed from the membership rolls of the Seventh-Day Adventist church per my request. It was a nice form letter, very respectful of my choice, and I give the church kudos for it.

So, just a few short days latter the General Conference of Seventh-Day Adventists rolled into my town, and so did many friends and family members, some from ages past. Of course I had to go to the GC. You don't often get the chance to catch up with so many people from various stages of your life. That part was wonderful. The exhibit hall was wonderful too, with lots of color and sound and pretty display booths, many which were promoting amazing things like health outreach, ministry to the poor (Go ADRA!!) and general "light unto the world" kind of stuff. I went to the first weekend's Sabbath service with a family member who was staying with us. The Sabbath School was fairly uplifting and it reminded us to really live life rather than being tied to our Blackberries (or in my case, the iphone) They the proceeded to point out a lot of really good things the SDA church is doing.

I actually was hoping to pop in again during the next week but Grad School and the job hunt got in the way. The second set of family staying with us slept late and went down on their own the second Sabbath. I headed down to try and meet some old friends and I did say hello to a couple of folks, but it was too crowded to catch many people at that time. I headed home, but not before passing through the CNN center food court where a LOT of Adventists had chosen to buy their lunch (I giggled as I watched them breaking the Sabbath)

It wasn't till after the GC was over and I had a chance to read the new GC presidents sermon that I was reminded why I no longer choose to be Seventh-Day Adventist. However that doesn't mean I knock the church as a whole. I see it as any other well-meaning institution. It is capable of much good and beauty with all of its flaws. The good parts of it still challenge me to be a better person. If I were to denigrate it based on bitter feelings I would be the one loosing out.

Thanks, SDA church, for helping me to refine who I am. I wish I could share some of what I've learned with you as well, but there isn't a place for that within your institution yet. And that is why I am not an Adventist.

Comments

Eric said…
Thanks for such a thoughtful post. It's a struggle for me to try to not be bitter toward the church and instead attempt to see the ways Adventism has had a positive effect on my life.
Cassandra said…
Ann, I haven't watched the new president's sermon yet but I intend to. Is it ok if I ask what about it reminded you of why you don't want to be Adventist?
Ann said…
@Cassandra, I tried to cut and paste some sections of his sermon to show you some examples but I can't figure out how using the transcript I have.

Basically he thinks all the answers are within Adventist. He specifically warned against the Emerging Church movement which I am involved with.
Cassandra said…
Ann, I'm definitely going to watch his sermon to see what he said. I still haven't sat down to watch it as people said it was a full hour long.

He was saying that all answers are within Adventism? I wouldn't choose to word it that way - I think all answers are from God. Adventists don't have all the answers yet and never will. There is always more truth to be found and I think other religions offer insight that Adventism might not have.

I'm having a discussion right now with several lovely Mormon ladies. It's been enlightening!

I'm not familiar at all with the Emerging Church movement. Do you have any good resources to recommend so I could learn what it's about?
Cassandra said…
Ok, I've watched the sermon and read the transcript.

I can see how he thinks all answers are within Adventism. I was rather surprised by some of the things he said.

Still, if you know of a good resource where I can learn about the Emerging Church movement, I'd really appreciate it. Most of what I've looked at says "it means different things to different people." I don't really understand what the movement is about. :)
Ann said…
@Cassandra

emerentvillage.com is the main resource. Emergent is more a conversation than a set of beliefs. It's hard to explain because it does mean different things to different people.
Unknown said…
Talk about the president's speech brought about the revelation that my uncle and cousin both no longer consider themselves SDA - which I didn't know at all. This makes no less than five once SDA family members that have followed me in leaving the church. And up til a year ago I had no idea any of them had left!

Popular posts from this blog

Eating SDA Style

Dogs Become Street Stoics