Dogs Become Street Stoics

I had a bizarre dream last night in which the phrase "Dogs become street stoics" appeared. Seems prophetic, no?
Okay, so I really have no idea what that phrase means. I doubt it means much at all, just random brain twitching during sleep.
Another part of my dream did have some events worth considering.

Often the issues I am wrestling with, or have wrestled with appear in my dreams. I have dreams about high school insecurity, job fears, friendship and family issues. I still dream about massive fights with my mother even though we haven't really fought for several years. One common dream I was having was the "heaven/salvation" dream in which the end times were upon me and I managed to get saved. I was never "lost" in any of my end time dreams.

It should be noted that I have a great deal of will power when it comes to dreaming. I rarely have nightmares, and when something bad does happen in my dreams I can usually work my way out of it. Often in the dream I realize I am dreaming, tell myself the bad stuff is just a dream and move on to dancing in tree tops or shopping for rabbits at Old Navy. So while I was comforted by my "salvation" dreams, (Maybe it's a sign from God that I will be ready when the time comes. ) I also realized that I was controlling the outcome of the dream, and who wants to be lost?

Well the dream last night involved my friends coming over, friends I hadn't seen for awhile, and me having a conversation about Buddhism with them. Also I was explaining, quite emphatically, why I don't drink or use drugs. (This was because one friend brought over something resembling a bong. It was actually used to change the colors in a certain type of hair barrette (Who can explain dreams?) but my friend confessed she did occasionally use drugs, and this sparked the conversation about drug use and Buddhism.

My discussion of Buddhism was pretty incoherent, (I remember thinking so in the dream), but one part from the anti drug conversation does stand out. I remember telling my friends that I had never done drugs or drank alcohol (which is true) and that I hadn't missed anything. I enjoyed my life, and they should ask themselves why they couldn't enjoy their lives without drugs and alcohol.

The deeper meaning to this dream? That I have been wanted to discuss Buddhism and alcohol use with my friends. (To my knowledge none of my friends are drug users currently. I think I dreamt about the bong because of seeing a store Little Five Points (Atlanta's Haight-Ashbury) that sold them)

I want to discuss Buddhism with my friends, not because I plan to CONVERT anyone, (That wouldn't be very Buddhist) but because I am hoping to hear some challenges to my current thinking.

I want to discuss alcohol use because it is becoming a greater part of my social life. A lot of my Adventist friends have taken up social drinking, and a lot of the people from various Christian backgrounds in Emergent Cohort drink socially as well. Even some of the Buddhists at the Shambhala center drink socially. Apparently the Shamhalans are not so concerned with following the 5th precept to refrain from intoxicants. Until I moved to Atlanta I had only been offered alcohol maybe two or three times. Now it is frequently available.

I admit I am tempted. My friends are all nice people, none of them alcoholics, all of them spiritual to some degree. They seem to be enjoying themselves in drinking, and I wonder if I am missing something.

I am going to be writing at least one more post on this subject, and I would love some feedback.

Until then beware of any stoic street dogs you might encounter. They might be harbringers of doom.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I cannot give very much input aboput stoic street dogs! But I can say that alcohol is a very dangerous substance. Yes I myself do enjoy alcohol, without any issues personally. But just yesterday (Saturday) my husband attended the funeral of his best friend who killed himself, directly relating to alcoholism!! I can also say from my personal experiences that alcohol almost split up my husband and I. It is better if you never even take the first drink. Because you never will know if you will have a ball or have to bail!! Just my personal rambling of the moment.
h2ovapor said…
All I can say is, what you say to V if she were contemplating drinking alcohol, and would you listen if you told yourself the same thing? Just a thought. Anyway, I won't say I didn't like it, but that's the main reason I would advise you/plead with you not to do it. In the end you'll do what you want, but just think of the path and where it could lead ideally and worst case scenario and see if it's worth it when you way those possibilities out. Plus, considering your tendency toward depression, I would BEG you not to drink alcohol because that would open the door to drinking when you're feeling down and in my mind that's the road to alcoholism, which nobody in their right mind has as their goal destination. Anyway, that's what I think...
Noah said…
Sorry about coming over in your dreams with my bong.

Luv,Sallyo
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
As you probity know I have never drank. I am ok with that. I know like everyone does it. The lady I stay with has wine in her kitchen. For me the rest of the world can get drunk or high but I have no desire even though it has been offered to me believe it or not on multiple occasions. Sometimes I fear that in a fews years I will be like the only one in the world who doesn't drink. I think part of the reason it doesn't appeal to because I am the kind of person who like to be in control. I do not like the thought of a substance controlling me also I don't want to be sick in the mornings. I would urge you not to but if you do I will always be your friend anyway. A lot of my friends who drink and smoke tell me not to do it.

Popular posts from this blog

Eating SDA Style