Questions on drinking...

Thanks to all the the responses to my "Dogs become Street Stoics" entry. There are still a few people I am hoping to get a response from before I write a longer response post.

In the meantime here are some questions for those who drink.

People say drinking helps you relax in a social setting. Would it be possible to relax and be authentic with people without alcohol?

If you had a close friend or family member who was an alcoholic would it change your drinking habits?

How do you know if you have alcoholic leanings? Will you become an alcoholic shortly after you start drinking due to your biological make-up?

For those Christian drinkers, did you start drinking because you found out the Bible doesn't say it's a sin? I know I was taught that it was one of the worst sins, but I know the Bible doesn't back this up.

I'd love to hear all your answers. You can e-mail me or message me on myspace as some people have done, or comment directly on the blog.

Comments

Unknown said…
Ann, for the first question, I would say that yes, it is possible to "relax and be authentic with people without alcohol". And I think that drinking for that purpose is a bad idea, in part because it could cause you to turn to alcohol when you are feeling stressed or uncomfortable.

If I had a close friend or family member who was an alcoholic, yes, it would change my drinking habits. It goes back to the difference between "offend" and "stumble". You can always find someone who is offended at something you do, but if your actions cause someone to truly stumble, it should change your actions.

Knowing scripture doesn't forbid it certainly played a part, but I believed it was allowed by scripture for several years before I started drinking.

I think that drinking just because others do is not a good idea. If you start, know why you're doing it and what enjoyment you'll get from it and the possible downfalls.

BTW, here's a post I wrote back in May talking about one of the reasons I drink wine.
Anonymous said…
It's such a complex subject. I must admit I have not had to deal with a christian/adventist viewpoint on it for some time, as most of the people I associate with now behave in a much more secular manner. I'd love to discuss it with you more sometime.

Popular posts from this blog

Eating SDA Style

Dogs Become Street Stoics

Out of the Frying Pan and into the Fire