Fearlessness

I'm acting more like a Fearless Wonder these days. It shows in little things, like talking to people on the elevator at my building, and in big things like getting my ESL student connected with a caseworker, and going out alone to do the tutoring.
The phrase "moving beyond fear" is more appropriate than fearless. Of course I still get the jitters about things. I just choose not to let the jitters rule my actions. My fearlessness, or move beyond fear has really been the result of a new embrace of reality. When I was controlled by my fears, I was always trying to manipulate reality, by avoiding the hard stuff, by zoning out, by escapism, by not seeking challenges. But in all my avoiding of fear I wasn't getting happier or more peaceful. At some point I realized I had to accept reality and face it. I also had to learn to trust in myself to meet its challenges.

I find reality, life as it is, so joyful when I am not trying to control it. We spend so much time worrying about what might happen, and thinking up ways to avoid what might happen, that we fail to see the beauty around us. I know I did, so much so that even many of my memories are about past worries rather than actual events.

My meditation practice has become more joyful even. Anyone who meditates can tell you that your mind will run away down the path of worry, fantasy, and internal debate faster than you can count. This is very natural in meditation, and bringing your mind back to the breath can be a challenge. I've spent a lot of meditation sittings worrying about not only my life, but if I was meditating correctly. Recently I've had a bit of a break through. I've been able to really take to heart the phrase "Dwelling in this present moment, I know this is a wonderful moment." by TNH. Instead of worrying about trying to get the meditation right after the mind wanders, I've simply embraced the joy of the present moment, the joy of reality.

I want to continue to move beyond fear, but I also know the danger of getting attached to fearlessness. So when I'm not feeling or acting fearless I've also learned to not beat myself up. In the past I would get so angry with myself for my perceived "cowardice" Instead of getting attached to the ideas that I HAVE TO BE fearless, I simply recognize my fear, treat it with loving kindness, and guess what? It vanishes so much faster than if I'd beat myself up for it.

"Breathing in I calm my spirit.

Breathing out I smile.

Dwelling in this Present Moment.

I know this is a wonderful moment."

Thich Nhat Han

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eating SDA Style

Out of the Frying Pan and into the Fire

Dogs Become Street Stoics