Friendship Classes

Wow, this past Sabbath School class filled me up with thoughts and ideas. I alreayd wrote a few in my last post. Here is one more.

Sometimes, instead of preaching/teaching "theology", I wish the pastors/sabbath school leaders would talk about how to make friends. I think making more than surface level friends is a skill most of us are lacking. We just hang out with family, schoolmates, coworkers...people whom it is easy to form relationships with. Meanwhile we meet people in less comfortable situations and think..."I really wish I could be friends with this person" but do nothing about it because we don't know where to start.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I so agree with you!!! I could have used those kinds of classes when I was growing up.

It's sad that the Adventist schools we grew up in spent so much time focusing on nipping dating relationships in the bud and less time on how to foster friendships regardless of age, race, or gender.

My brother (aspring young seminarian that he is) is a strong advocate of "being somebody's friend" versus the big auditorium-packing evangelism series Adventists are so fond of.
Anonymous said…
Yeah that is very true. I am currently reading a book called How to Win Friends and Influence People. I am learning a lot from that.

Popular posts from this blog

Eating SDA Style

Out of the Frying Pan and into the Fire

Dogs Become Street Stoics