Watering Down

I was having an interesting conversation with my brother yesterday. We were talking about churches, and small groups, and some of the pros and cons of different ones in their approaches. We both agreed that Churches that watered down things too much were not good because they produced a lower quality of believer.

I think if a person is a true seeker, they will be patient and study out any difficult points of doctrine they encounter in the church they are visiting. If pastor waters things down too much, he won't be feeding the believers, and will only attract converts who are not serious about their faith.

I think the true seeker isn't really put off by confusing insider language. When I first went to the Bodhi center in Chattanooga, I learned lots of new words and terms like Sangha and "The three jewels." I wasn't put off at all. I expected that as a new comer there would be things I didn't understand, and that I would have to follow up on if I was interested in learning more.

However the people at the Bodhi center also were willing to patiently answer our questions and explain a lot of things too us. The church next door to our apartment also has a class that newcomers can go to after the service to have questions answered. The meditation center I have been attending makes sure all new comers get instructions first before they go into the big mediation hall. I have seen a lot of churches let people know that there will be people up front after the service that they can speak with if they have any concerns, prayers or questions.


I think having something alongside the service to help newcomers is a far better solution to attracting serious seekers than watering down the service. Both the newcomer and the regular attenders benefit.

On the other hand I don't like my sermons/dharma talks too heady and philosophical. If there isn't something I can take and apply to my daily life than it's useless to me. I really love the pastors at our new church because so far they have given so much great pratical advice. I felt like I was starving for pratical examples at Collegedale. It's great and all to understand philosophy, but if you can't do anything with it than what is the point?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eating SDA Style

Dogs Become Street Stoics