Please put Jesus in my school. (An agnostic's response)

I've seen this statement going around today.
"Dear God, why do you allow so much violence in schools?"

"Dear Student, I'm not allowed in schools."

If you believe that God's absence from schools is the reason for Sandy Hook and other school shootings, then why aren't you putting God back into the schools yourself?

2 Corinthians 5:20
We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God.


Christians, aren't you supposed to be God's ambassadors, his hands and feet?  If you are, then you can walk into the schools yourself.  You don't have to wait for the government to pass a law.

I would love to have you in my classroom.  You could kneel beside a child and help them with their reading.  You could bring in school supplies to pass out to my needy ones.  You could read stories, sweep up spills, and wipe away tears.  You could tutor after school, or mentor a child.  Which is more Christlike, to have a mandated school prayer in the morning, or to have people serving the needs of "the least of these" in our schools?

I know that many people, like myself, were horrified by the idea of God letting Sandy Hook happen because we don't have prayer in public schools.  However, many of these same people are just saying that they are praying for the victims.  Those of you who are just praying, please do something more. Unless you change, the world will never change.  Volunteer at an elementary school, donate to mental health research, befriend that shy and lonely person next door. Stop hiding in your prayer closet, waiting for Jesus to end the suffering in this world.  Go out there and be like Jesus to those who suffer now.  






Comments

Anonymous said…
I totally agree Ann. In my class there is God, and not because I'm beating my kids my Bible. Its because Christ's love shows through in everything I do for my kindercrew and my Girl Scout troop. His love oozes from my lips in every lesson and every hug. Its evident by how I support my parents even though some have not asked for help. People need to stop making excuses for excluding God. If you really love him and are a true believer, no matter your denomination, your actions will show your school community and the world who Christ is. No invitation necessary.
-Summer Houston
Anonymous said…
GET RID OF ASSAULT WEAPONS!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Eating SDA Style

Dogs Become Street Stoics