Joy and Happiness

Today's Sabbath School class was taught by the ever effervescent LeClaire Litchfeild...also known as "Litch" We talked about the differences between Joy and Happiness (a subject also discussed in the C.S. Lewis book Surprised by Joy)

Well with Litch's charming personality, the goodwill that is normally at hand in that Sabbath school class, and the positive and moving subject matter, I could not help but feel a tugging at the heart strings. I felt moved to abandon my skepticism and doubts and to throw myself at the feet of Jesus, so that I might experience that joy which transcends circumstance.

And indeed if the Gospel according to Litch was all there was I would simply and happily convert myself back to a full fledged SDA...

But then...

Is Litch joyful because he has discovered God, or is Litch joyful because he has discovered joy, using Christianity as a vehicle.

Does one have to be a Christian to experience Joy in it's fullest.

Comments

Anonymous said…
We just talked about the same thing at Sabbath school. hmm, it must be in the lession or something.
Anonymous said…
I've learned, perhaps erroneously, that true joy is from God.


Joshua
Unknown said…
I know Litch too. I think that he, along with other Christians have found joy by using Christianity as a vehicleto discover God for themselves.

But who are we to say that one has to be a Christiana to experience joy in its fullest?

Popular posts from this blog

Eating SDA Style

Dogs Become Street Stoics