The Secrets of the Rich

I just wrote a paper about my experiences with the refugee lady I tutored. I had to critically analyze her situation and mine and make comparisons. Then I realized I am in another situation I have not analyzed. That of the rich. Did you know that rich people get free stuff? I did not. I always thought they just had more money and that is why they had so much stuff. But no!
My husband and I were two ordinary folks by American standards. My family is middle class and his wavered between middle,working and poor. Now the two of us find ourselves in Buckhead, Atlanta. Buckhead is one of the richest neighborhoods in Atlanta. My husband took a job at a good company and we moved into the lower tiers of a pricey condo. (We are renting a one-bedroom) While we ourselves are not rich, we live with some very rich people. Businesses around here want these rich people to spend their money at their stores and restaurants, so they give people in our condo free stuff to entice them. We were recently treated to a huge spread of food from all the local restaurants. I also got a free gift card awhile back for the North Face. My husband's company is located in a ritzy office tower. Because of this he got a free haircut and a bunch of products from a local men's salon. There are numerous other example I could give. Back when we were living in a duplex in Tennessee I can assure you we were not getting this kind of high quality free stuff. I guess if I became rich and famous I might get all sorts of free goodies. Then I could save my money, invest it and get wealthier still.
Right now so many charitable organizations in our country are struggling to make ends meet. The next time we get some free stuff maybe I should counter balance it with a donation to Refugee Family Services or ADRA.

Comments

Cassandra said…
Good idea to donate some money when you receive gifts or services. Those are some very cool things that you have received!

Popular posts from this blog

Eating SDA Style

Out of the Frying Pan and into the Fire

Dogs Become Street Stoics