Practice versus Belief

I think I am still a practicing Christian. I pray, and go to church and even volunteer at my church. I am even speaking for an adult Sabbath School class next week...but am I am believing Christian? That is what I am still trying to figure out. I am also practicing a couple of elements of Buddhism right now. These are things that harmonize pretty well with the Christian faith. You might even be able to find counterparts within Christianity but I got the ideas from my studies of Buddhism. Maybe it takes a different perspective before you can really grasp onto something. The way the Buddhists explained things just made more sense, even though I probably could have gotten the same basic ideas from Christianity.

Anyways...event though I am practicing elements of Buddhism I am not a believer in Buddhism. For me all belief is really up in the air. I am not sure what think is true and what to put my faith in. I continue to practice though, because I continue to hope that the answers will come. I want to believe that a loving God will come through for a true seeker.
I want to believe enlightenment is possible, be it through one faith or another.

I am not sure what it's going to take to be a true believer. I know having all the facts isn't going to do it. Maybe if I have a real experience with God I might get there. Or maybe it will take me a few life times of good Karma before I find the answers. (Sheesh, that sounds depressing) I really don't want to go the way of the atheists and give up on the Mystery all together. I want to believe there is something beyond cold science. I guess my real question is how can I be an honest seeker, with an open mind and have confidence in a God I cannot explain. Well I'll just keep practicing and we'll see if I get any better at it.

Comments

Leslie Foster said…
Buddhist thought has some real gems. When my Mom explains the student handbook to her students at the beginning of the school year, she uses Buddhist writings as well as Christian thought to explain the rules.
Anonymous said…
I think practicing is the best way to do it. If you aren't sure of the truth, it's better to keep searching than just to stand still. Standing still is admitting defeat.

-Cassandra

Popular posts from this blog

Eating SDA Style

Out of the Frying Pan and into the Fire

Dogs Become Street Stoics